"The guiding principles and the four workforce management imperatives outlined in this document are a preliminary response to the unfolding crisis. They are intended to serve as a tool for Chief Human Resources Officers (CHROs) and other business leaders."
We are in uncharted waters. How leaders conduct themselves today, will add to or detract from their personal reputation well into the future. In times like these - especially in times like these - leaders must lead!
A crisis demands, now more than ever, that a successful leader employs the head, empowers the hand, engages the heart and enriches the spirit. Are you the LEADER they need?
INSEAD research finds leaders who ask questions become more credible in their roles and build better relationships with their team. Some interesting points raised on the relationship between the context of asking questions and competence penalties attached.
As an employer, how can you help your people cope in the current climate? Here are three tips to start you off.
Spending more time at home can be an excellent opportunity to gain knowledge and develop skills. Explore free online courses for leadership development. The following are available from OpenLearn by The Open University:
- An introduction to business cultures
- Business communication: writing a SWOT analysis
- Business organisations and their environments: Culture
- Commercial awareness
- Communication, management and your own context
- Conversations and interviews
- Developing career resilience
- Developing high trust work relationships
- Developing your skills as an HR professional
- Difference and challenge in teams
- Different types of business
- Employee engagement
- Employment relations and employee engagement
- Exploring career mentoring and coaching
- Facilitating group discussions
- How teams work
- How to frame a business case
- Human resources: recruitment and selection
- Influences on corporate governance
- International management: An institutional perspective
- Introducing a framework for strategy
- Leadership and followership
- Leadership challenges in turbulent times
- Making decisions
- Management: perspective and practice
- Managing and managing people
- Managing local practices in global contexts
- Managing projects through people
- Personal branding for career success
- Strategic view of performance
- Succeed in the workplace
- Sustainable innovations in enterprises
- The importance of interpersonal skills
- Three principles of a coaching approach
- Understanding your sector
- What is strategic human resource management?
- What is strategy?
- Working in diverse teams
- Working in groups and teams
- Working life and learning
- Working with dilemmas
- Workplace learning with coaching and mentoring
There are many more free online courses for leadership development available, including from the following:
"We all know that developing strategic thinking skills is important, but many don't realise how critical it is to your career advancement to 'show these skills' to your boss and other senior leaders."
"Growing yourself faster isn't easy but it's made far simpler when you're clear about your origin, your destination, and the fastest, experience-driven route between the two."
Chris Swan, Managing Director with TRANSEARCH International, was a panellist on the BlueSteps webinar 'Navigating an Uncertain Business Climate: Salary Negotiation, Career Growth and More'. The full recording is now available.