Spending more time at home can be an excellent opportunity to gain knowledge and develop skills. Explore free online courses for leadership development. The following are available from OpenLearn by The Open University:
- An introduction to business cultures
- Business communication: writing a SWOT analysis
- Business organisations and their environments: Culture
- Commercial awareness
- Communication, management and your own context
- Conversations and interviews
- Developing career resilience
- Developing high trust work relationships
- Developing your skills as an HR professional
- Difference and challenge in teams
- Different types of business
- Employee engagement
- Employment relations and employee engagement
- Exploring career mentoring and coaching
- Facilitating group discussions
- How teams work
- How to frame a business case
- Human resources: recruitment and selection
- Influences on corporate governance
- International management: An institutional perspective
- Introducing a framework for strategy
- Leadership and followership
- Leadership challenges in turbulent times
- Making decisions
- Management: perspective and practice
- Managing and managing people
- Managing local practices in global contexts
- Managing projects through people
- Personal branding for career success
- Strategic view of performance
- Succeed in the workplace
- Sustainable innovations in enterprises
- The importance of interpersonal skills
- Three principles of a coaching approach
- Understanding your sector
- What is strategic human resource management?
- What is strategy?
- Working in diverse teams
- Working in groups and teams
- Working life and learning
- Working with dilemmas
- Workplace learning with coaching and mentoring
There are many more free online courses for leadership development available, including from the following:
"We all know that developing strategic thinking skills is important, but many don't realise how critical it is to your career advancement to 'show these skills' to your boss and other senior leaders."
"Growing yourself faster isn't easy but it's made far simpler when you're clear about your origin, your destination, and the fastest, experience-driven route between the two."
Chris Swan, Managing Director with TRANSEARCH International, was a panellist on the BlueSteps webinar 'Navigating an Uncertain Business Climate: Salary Negotiation, Career Growth and More'. The full recording is now available.
There is little doubt that we are seeing a dramatic shift in the way we work. The 2020 Global Talent Trends Study examines how leading companies balance cost and care to win in an evolving and unpredictable world.
The ability to execute and get things done is a key driver of success but can result in unintended costs for the individual, as well as for their teams and organisations. If you sense that you may be overly task-focused, here are some suggestions to re-set your priorities.
"We need more sophisticated ways to envision possible scenarios in preparing for the skills of tomorrow. We know less about technologies than we think."
So, what is to be done?
Eric Schmidt speaks about the dizzying speed of disruption, as well as how to nurture and position people for the greater good of organisations and society.
"When I think about how we're going to solve the problems ahead of us, the answer is people. We need to acknowledge how powerful people are, particularly those who are willing to take risks and drive societal change."
"There are efforts underway to reimagine education, training, and hiring in ways that will put career skills front and center… This shift could open jobs to a wider range of workers, but opportunity seekers will have to be able to develop, demonstrate, and clearly articulate skills."