October 11, 2023
Unveiling the Power of Organisational Culture
Organisational culture is the invisible force that shapes the way people work together, make decisions, and ultimately drive an organisation toward its goals. It is a powerful, yet often intangible, aspect of any company, influencing everything from employee behaviour to strategic decisions. Understanding and effectively managing organisational culture is vital for the long-term success and sustainability of any enterprise.
By examining the values, behaviours, and structures that define your culture, you can develop strategies to harness its potential for positive impact and address any areas that may need improvement. Whether you are an employee seeking to understand your workplace better or a leader looking to shape and refine your organisation’s culture, the following questions will serve as a valuable guide to unlock the secrets and potential of your organisational culture.
10 Questions About Organisational Culture
10 key questions to ask about your organisational culture:
- What are the core values and beliefs that shape our organisational culture?
- How would you describe the current culture of our organisation?
- How does our organisational culture support or hinder our mission and goals?
- What behaviours and attitudes are encouraged and discouraged within our culture?
- How does leadership contribute to and shape the organisational culture?
- How does our culture impact employee engagement and satisfaction?
- What role does diversity and inclusion play in our organisational culture?
- What mechanisms are in place to ensure our culture is communicated and reinforced among employees?
- How do we measure and assess the effectiveness of our organisational culture?
- What steps are we taking to adapt and evolve our culture to meet changing needs and challenges within the organisation and the external environment?
Nurturing Organisational Culture
In the ever-evolving landscape of business and organisations, the role of organisational culture cannot be underestimated. It is the glue that binds individuals together, the compass that guides decision-making, and the soul of an organisation. The ten questions presented here serve as a starting point for a deeper exploration of your organisation’s culture, its impact, and its potential for transformation. By reflecting on these questions, you have the opportunity to not only understand your culture better but also to make intentional changes that align with your mission and goals.
A strong and positive organisational culture can lead to higher employee engagement, improved performance, and a more resilient organisation that can adapt to the challenges of an ever-changing world. However, it is essential to recognise that culture is not static; it can and should evolve to meet the needs of the organisation and its stakeholders.
As you continue to navigate the complex terrain of organisational culture, keep in mind that open communication, inclusivity, and a commitment to shared values are keys to fostering a healthy culture. By addressing the questions posed and actively working to shape and improve your culture, you can create a workplace that not only thrives but also contributes to the greater success of your organisation. In doing so, you embark on a journey towards a more productive, harmonious, and purpose-driven work environment.
This article explores themes and concepts from content by John O. Burdett.
John O. Burdett is founder of Orxestra® Inc. He has extensive international experience as a senior executive. As a consultant he has worked in more than 40 countries for organisations that are household names. John has worked on organisation culture for some of the world’s largest organisations. His ongoing partnership with TRANSEARCH International means that his thought leading intellectual property, in any one year, supports talent management in many hundreds of organisations around the world. Get in touch with John O. Burdett »