Download your complementary copy of "Leadership: Moving Beyond The Crisis" and go through the assessment either individually or with your team. Review the assessment with two central questions in mind. "Where are we today on the 5-1-5 scale?" And using the same scale, "Where do we need to be?"
Consider, which descriptor best describes where your organisation is today? Score (X) to capture your level of agreement with that statement (5, 4, 3, 2, or 1). A "5" suggests you strongly agree. Repeat to describe where you believe you need to be (✓). How far you look into the future is a factor of the business sector you are in. A good default assumption, however, would be 24 months. It is quite possible, that on any single question, where you are is where you need to be.
In thinking through "Where do we need to be?" consider the following:
- What did you learn from the Covid crisis?
- What is special about your business that you must retain?
- What do tomorrow's customers want to buy and how do they want to buy it?
- What would it take to attract the customers that are currently out of reach?
- What would it take to attract and retain the very best people?
- Digitalisation isn't simply a matter of investing in technology. How are you going to "rewire" the organisation in order that you optimize the return on investment from that technology?
- What do you need to do to become more agile?
- What will it take to move faster?
It is also important to ask: "Do we have the leadership in place to make this happen?" "Are all of those in pivotal roles totally committed to this degree of change?" After going through the assessment (including any "From What to What?" dimensions you may have added) identify:
- What elements of today's culture are critical to tomorrow's success (Roots); and
- The five to seven key changes demanded if we are to start to create tomorrow's culture, today (Wings). More than seven will make the challenge overwhelming.
Joining the points that describe where we are and, similarly, joining the points that describe where we need to be, will give a very helpful, visual "map" of the cultural journey.
Download your complementary copy of "Leadership: Moving Beyond The Crisis" today.