Culture is the often overlooked, all-pervasive, enterprise-wide, organisational DNA that dictates whether your strategy lands or if your brand sustains. It is "a way to be" shaped by the past but continuously honed by the emerging business, social, economic, political and customer context.
The essential supporting pillars of culture are:
- Mission (why do we do what we do?)
- Diversity (diversity fuels innovation)
- Brand (why buy from us?)
- Speed (Focus - Anticipation - Simplicity - Technology)
The four pillars are braced by the organisation's values. Culture and values frame the context - the cultural canvas. The most forceful elements on that canvas being:
- Vision and strategy;
- Measurement and rewards;
- The talent management system (e.g., who gets hired and/or promoted, the leadership development agenda); and,
- Technology (quickly becoming an irresistible force).
All of the elements described come together to shape the organisation's story. You are your story. Culture is story and story is culture!
Insights from "The 7 Questions Every CEO Should Ask About Culture" by John Burdett